An Assisted Living facility offers comfortable, apartment-style living to seniors seeking modern amenities and round-the-clock care. Each suite contains its own kitchen or a kitchenette. Housekeeping services are provided by on-site staff, who are also available to assist residents with the scheduling, monitoring, and administration of their medications. Assisted Living is ideal for retirees who are mobile and active, but still require assistance with day-to-day tasks such as bathing, cleaning, and dressing.
Assisted Living ensures that residents experience the greatest degree of independence possible. Seniors are encouraged to design their own schedules, and eat meals at the times of their choosing. Trained on-site chefs offer an impressive selection of delicious and healthy dishes, which are prepared with your specific dietary needs in mind. Transportation to all your medical appointments can also be provided, so you'll never need to worry about arranging for a ride.
Seniors residing in an Assisted Living community enjoy a wide variety of recreational activities. Fitness classes, movie nights, and regular outings are all available. There's also a selection of day trips and shopping excursions which are offered on an ongoing basis.
Most Assisted Living communities have a generous selection of RHNs, RPNs, LPNs and Care Aides on staff. Advanced services such as physiotherapy, optometry, and blood work are available to residents. Many specialized therapies are also offered – including recreational therapy, occupational therapy, and foot therapy.
Locating an Assisted Living Facility
Built in proximity to medical amenities, social resources, and cultural venues, Assisted Living communities can be found in most Canadian cities and towns. SeniorZen's online searchable database makes it easy to locate care providers in every territory and province. Use it to create a shortlist of the retirement facilities which interest you most.
Image by lhumble of stock.xchng
Assisted Living Guide
- Summer is here, enjoy in moderation!
- Aging and Ageism - An interview with Thomas Sturge
- BEST BEFORE 4 MAR 1970: A Take on Ageism, Independence and Choice in Retirement Communities
- Independent and Assisted Living in BC
- How to Select an Assisted Living Facility
- Complex Care Sounds so… Complex!
- Three Ways to Start the Talk About Assisted Living
- Federal and Provincial Benefits for Seniors in Québec
- Federal and Provincial Benefits for Seniors in Ontario
- Federal and Provincial Benefits for Seniors in Alberta