I am planning to move my father to private extended care the cost is 4500. According to the health authority assessment I can pay 2200 for publicly funded care centre. If I move to the private one will the government subsidize me for the difference?

In a word, no, or at least no, if you are in BC.   As a matter of fact, if it is a private facility, they may not pay any of the costs. However, some private facilities have publicly funded beds, to which someone can transfer when one becomes available.  You could ask the facility if they have them.   Check to see what kind of tax breaks you will  have when it comes tax time, as care homes are deductible expenses if  you have filled out the necessary papers.  If you father is a Veteran, there may be some funding available through the Veterans Department.


Peter Silin