My elderly Mom is thinking of moving from BC to Alberta. We recently heard that if she was to have a stroke in BC and get transferred to Alberta she would not be able to receive Alberta Health Care. True or False? Thx


Your question is a bit unclear to me-- are you  asking about if your mother has a stroke before she moves, or if she moves and then comes back to visit?   But the general response is that when you move from one province to another, it takes 3 months  to be covered.  Until that time,  the original province pays for health care.  So if your mother does move, makes sure she registers as a resident as soon as she can after moving so that she is eligible as soon as is allowed, to receive  other services provided there.


Peter S. Silin, MSW, RSW, CCC

Diamond Geriatrics
288 West 8th Ave
Vancouver, BC V5Y 1S6
778-885-5695 Cell