What can we do about exhorbitant annual increases in rent in retirement homes that causes residents so much anxiety and fear?

RETIREMENT HOMES FOR THE ELDERLY – CHOOSE WISELY! (From an article I wrote for local newspapers)
Before moving into a retirement home, it is very important to determine what the annual increase in rent will be. For instance, the Mulberry Independent Living Estates in Moose Jaw, owned and operated by Holiday Retirement, an American company, increases the rent annually to as much as 6.1%. This results in an increase of $195 per month for a one bedroom suite at an average rent of $3,000. The residents are extraordinary people who worked hard for many years to make a living, raise a family, contribute to their communities, pay taxes, save, invest wisely and prepare for old age. With the annual exorbitant increases in rent, how long can they remain independent? The Mulberry has been holding various events this year to entice new renters but still have a number of vacancies. It is obvious that its reputation of annual high rental increases has deterred many from moving there.
The elderly people living in the Mulberry Estates are not taking a “holiday”; it is their home. It is a first class establishment with a caring workforce and many amenities. However, corporations should not be allowed to gouge those who live in retirement homes such as the Mulberry. It is more and more difficult to earn investment dollars, and those on a fixed income cannot afford the ever increasing rent. The residents at the Mulberry feel trapped and have no other recourse but to pay or leave. Where will they go? The provincial and federal governments are facing a great dilemma in the costs of support for the elderly now and in the future. Since the elderly are no longer employable, the rental rates should not be compared to market rental prices. The logical solution would be to charge a fair and equitable rent to the present and future residents for the duration of their stay.


First thing to do is check whatever contract you may have signed to see what they say.  This  would include looking at what  they have in costs for services. Second thing is to  contact your provincial  government residential tenancy/landlord tenancy branch to see if the residence is covered under the provincial legislation. They may be and that may trump whatever is in your contract from the residence.  If there is a provincial Ombudsperson, their office may be able to help negotiate something. If the residence is  publicly funded, there is most likely nothing you can do.  Find out how they estimate charges and make sure that your individual charges  fall within the guidelines that have been set.

In the end, some seniors residences are  not included under any protective legislation and they are free to do as they wish. Unfortunately,

Kind regards,

Peter Silin