Where can I get a grant for building a wheelchair ramp for my 80 year old husband who is a veteran.

My husband who is a veteran and has 34 years service in the military does not qualify for the payment of a wheelchair ramp. A year ago on Feb. 9th 2016 he had brain surgery and needs 24 hour care. Our insurance paid 80% for a wheel chair and a hospital bed, but would not cover the ramp. Could you please help me to get a grant to help with the ramp outside our house.

Government funds for accessibility:

i. The Home Adaptations for Independence (HAFI) program provides financial assistance to help eligible low-income seniors and people with disabilities in British Columbia to continue to live in the comfort of their home.

Get more information at: http://www.bchousing.org/Options/Home_Renovations

ii. CMHC Home adaptation Program - www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca

ii. community funding

The March of Dimes - accessible modifications program - www.marchofdimes.ca

iii. creative ideas:

- Habitat for Humanity's ReStore sell good reconditioned items, which might include a ramp, at very reduced prices

- the major suppliers of ramps usually sell reconditioned/used products - www.portablewheelchairramps.ca, www.mobilitybasics.ca

- service clubs such as Rotary or Lions might be willing to help as a goodwill gesture


Pat M. Irwin, BA, AICB, CPCA 
President, ElderCareCanada 
Professor, Distance Learning, Centennial College